Sunday, April 09, 2006

Tying Up the Loose Ends

First of all, I'll apologize for the lack of coverage for the NCAA's (this was mostly due to the fact I knew nothing about the Final Four teams). Regardless, it's time to wrap up a few events I had intented to follow more closely.

World Baseball Classic

I, like every other sportsfan, underestimated the Asians. I was so caught up on Latin America that it was easy to count out the little guys (no pun intended). On paper Japan looked like one of the weaker teams in the WBC but proved that anything can happen in baseball and fundamentals can triumph over raw power. The Dominicans strength failed them, Team USA looked downright disappointing at times, and Cuba's inexplicable success once again put them in the final, but none of this was really unexpected. If nothing else, despite the lack of 'drama,' I think the WBC is here to stay and I actually look forward to it again in a couple years.

NCAA Tournament

So only 4 out of over 3,000,000 brackets submitted to ESPN's Tourney Challenge picked the correct Final Four. And I assume they all lived in the Virginia area to have put their hopes on George Mason. Aside from the one Cinderella story, the tournament just seemed to lack something--possibly we simply missed the Big XII and Big Ten. Oh well, that game-winning shot over Iowa made up for everything. HA!
The results from the Tourney Challenge:

T-1) Denisek
T-1) Port
3) Alberty
4) Top Seeds
T-5) Guiter
T-5) Fischer
7) Casady
8) Kassel
9) Williams

* Every year I wish it just ended after the first two rounds because I swear I'm always leading at that point because I have a knack for picking the 1st-round upsets. And nothing is worse than losing to that old woman (or Slowpitch) who filled in their bracket by just picking the top seeds.

Baseball Opening Week

-Cleveland looked good against the defending champs
-Rollins hitting streak done at 38
-AL East looks subpar
-NL Central looks like toughest in the majors
-Mets are winning as expected
-Pitchers turned sluggers in Arroyo/Sosa/Mulder
-Beware the power of the Tigers
-The Royals are in the cellar where they belong

MORE TO COME...

No comments: