Friday, January 09, 2009

The BCS is a Mess...

...and so is NCAA football. The only thing Florida, Tim Tebow, and the Gators won outright are people's apparent confusion as to what "John 3:16" is.

Is Florida the national champion? Yes. No. And no. (By the way, ESPN - the "Chompions"? How terrible is that headline?)

Last night I cheered hard for the Sooners. I must admit - I am no lover of Oklahoma football, and I usually only cheer for Big 12 teams when they play Big 10 teams (by the way Big 10: 1 for 6 in bowls? Only Iowa can beat a team from another conference? Ouch...). The reason I cheered for Oklahoma was that a Sooner win last night would throw the BCS into an even bigger disaster than it is now. Three teams with one loss (and one with none!) and only one gets to be that National Champions without even ever playing the others? Do you see why I wanted Oklahoma to win?

I know that some of you won't agree with me on this one, but I think that this year above all others the BCS has utterly failed at delivering an uncontested national champion. It's time for some playoffs.

No comments: