Friday, March 03, 2006

WBC I

The World Baseball Classic is finally here and it couldn't have arrived more silently. Despite what the experts say, I think it could actually turn out to be an interesting contest. It's very possible that baseball fans rally around the USA and pay it its due attention. Even though spring training obviously doesn't produce the best baseball, if nothing else, this is a great way to warm up for the season and presents a different dynamic; hell, maybe a friendly rivalry might even start that would surely get more of my attention than Yankees-Red Sox.
Coincidentally, my very first posting on this weblog touched on baseball across the world and ESPN is even supporting my case about Latin America. If given one team vs. the field I would normally have to choose the field so it is hard to strongly endorse Team USA as the favorite, but the Dominican team is suddenly crippled a bit, the loss of Pedro being worse than that of Vlad. The USA pitching rivals any as the top, but our lineup just doesn't quite have the power the DR team does. I mean Tejada, Ortiz, Pujols, Beltre, Soriano...need I go on? Now don't get me wrong, we're no slouch ourselves (Damon, Lee, Jeter, Rodriguez) but it appears most teams could pass as all-star teams. The experts picked Venezuela, but I just don't see it. My starting odds:

USA: 20%
DR: 25%
VE: 12%
PR: 13%
Field: %30


UPDATE: It sure looks like it won't be China after being outscored 28-3 in today's double-header as Korea jumps out to a 2-0 lead in the Asian round-robin.

No comments: