Sunday, December 07, 2008

Heisman Thoughts

To put off Pharmacology studying a bit longer, I thought I would way in on the Heisman race.

As I see it, it comes down to 4 QB's.  And unless you're a delusional Hawkeye fan (which is most Hawk fans), Shonn Greene.


Unlike the BCS, the Heisman should be awarded for your body of work through the whole season.  To be the best player in college football (which is kind of joke anymore with the Heisman), you've got to bring it week in and week out.  So Colt McCoy, relax, you won't get snubbed on this one.

So now how do you pick?  Is it based on huge numbers, because Bradford and Harrell can give you those, but McCoy also had great stats while leading his team in rushing.  Tebow took a team on his back and willed them to BCS title game after they lost to Ole Miss.  Tebow played well when it counted down the stretch, but McCoy didn't get an opportunity to prove himself on a big stage the last few weeks.  (Minus the A&M game)  

If I were picking right now, I'm going to ignore Tebow because we saw how great he can be last year and he fell off a bit from then.  Harrell produced astronomical numbers, but part of that is the system (though mostly his gun and play making ability).

So to me, it comes down to McCoy and Bradford.  And because of the BCS, we saw Bradford showcase his talent in bigger games down the stretch.  So I got to go with Sam Bradford.  His numbers were great, and he played best when the games mattered most.  I don't always buy the head-to-head arguments because the season is an ebb and flow process.  You can judge a team by the first few weeks because the games changes.  But Bradford knew against Tech he needed to produce and boy did he.  

So the Heisman goes to Bradford.  The media should eat this up if he wins.  Native American, Heisman vs. Heisman in the Title game?  Sounds pretty great.

Plus McCoy will be back next year, so I give him the edge next year.

I hope this sparks a lively debate because I think any of these 4 players deserve the award and I will probably change my mind by tomorrow.

You bet!

No comments: