Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Future of ISU

I read a great piece on Jamie Pollard, the new AD at ISU. In the article, it details his goals and ambitions for the program. His number one goal strikes me as the most important. Raising the expectations of the University, athletes, fans, and coaches to the point were we expect to win. I don't that ISU has ever felt that way, and to have a guy come in and say we will, that is great. ISU needed fresh blood in the AD role, and they found a winner. This guy has more drive in him than anyone out there.

The real trick will be getting State fans to buy into the idea. I mean this in two ways: financially and emotionally. We're like the Keytsone Light of the Big XII. You pay a little but get a pretty good reward. If we can get our budget to the mid-level of the Big XII, we'll be in good shape. I don' know if ISU can ever get to the level of Texas, Nebraska, or Oklahoma as far as budgets. Yet, I feel like in a year or two, we'll be able to compete with those teams. And yes, with Dan McCarney as head coach.

Second, fans need to believe. It will take time. ISU has a young football team that can only go up in talent. Recruitment will need to be big this year and can really set the tone for the next few years. I am excited to see where ISU Athletics head in the next few years. The Big XII better watch out, because this university is on its way up.

Note: Since I'm not good with computers, I cannot figure out to link you to website with the article. Go to the Iowa State Website and you'll see it on the right. My deepest apologies.


Here you go, Cale. -KG

No comments: