Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Where's the D?

My own team proved me wrong. For quite a while now I've had the faulty belief that there is nothing more consistent than defense. If given the chance to model a team after the Detroit Pistons/Alabama Tide or the Dallas Mavs/TT Red Raiders you'd have to pick the former because there will be those nights offense abandons you but you can always fallback on not letting your opponent score. A guy can miss open shots, a receiver can drop passes, a batter can swing at the most perfect pitch and hit nothing but air. However, defense isn't about quickness, but rather beating your opponent by getting there first. Isn't it? I always assumed defense was more mental than physical and it tested not only athleticism, but the ability to read a play and just play smarter than the guy coming at you.
Last Sunday the Bears showed otherwise--that defense can just as easily as offense be turned off like a lightswitch. Every time I go to the rec to play basketball I go in expecting that my shots might fall or they might not, but I ALWAYS have defense to rely upon. Every night I see guys that just can't play defense, and I'm not talking about the lazy players, but those who try and just can't seem to challenge shots, box out, stay in front, not bite obvious fakes, etc. Until now I attributed that to not knowing how, just lacking that court awareness and ability to see the angles. Maybe it was wishful thinking that anyone can play great defense without the skills of mad offense.
Still, how does a team that sets ridiculous benchmarks in points allowed, fewest TD's, and constant and ruthless QB pressure just lie down when it mattered most. It's possible that it is unfair to compare basketball with football, where defense requires more speed and althleticism, but Carolina had more yards by halftime than Chicago averaged all season per game. The physical d-line didn't apply pressure, the run defense was non-existant, and the secondary just plain got beat. All on a day when the offense was actually clicking. I dunno, maybe the key to great defense in all sports is simply hustle and the will to want it more...

No comments: