Thursday, June 29, 2006

KG's MLB All-Star Ballot

I just punched my all-star ballot a good 28 minutes before the deadline just so I could determine exactly who is the most worthy. There were definitely some tough choices, but I think I gave credit where due and served justice to the big-names without the big-games.

American League

1B: Travis Hafner, Indians
2B: Mark Loretta, Red Sox
SS: Miguel Tejada, Orioles
3B: Joe Crede, White Sox
C: Joe Mauer, Twins
OF: Vernon Wells, Blue Jays
OF: Jermaine Dye, White Sox
OF: Magglio Ordonez, Tigers

National League

1B: Albert Pujols, Cardinals
2B: Dan Uggla, Marlins
SS: Jose Reyes, Mets
3B: Scott Rolen, Cardinals
C: Brian McCann, Braves
OF: Matt Holliday, Rockies
OF: Carlos Beltran, Mets
OF: Carlos Lee, Brewers

  • I hate to deny David Wright, but Scott Rolen is just too good. He may be behind in HR's and RBI's, but his BA and worldclass defense (not to mention his explosion when Pujols went down) gives him my slight edge.
  • One of the most even positions was AL second baseman of which there was no standout. Loretta, Robinson Cano, Brian Roberts, Jose Lopez, and Tadahito Iguchi all had similar numbers and team success. (I actually considered writing in Ty Wigginton.)
  • Alfonso Soriano is a noticeable omission, but he has been pretty two-faced. He's put up huge numbers in homeruns, RBI's, and stolen bases, but his batting average, strikeout total, and shaky play in left field found him on the bench.
  • I have to give Honorable Mention to Chase Utley for NL 2B--I flipped a coin.

No comments: