Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Japan's National Pastime

It should be noted that it is rare that I would every tend to agree with Jay Mariotti, but for once the guy is right.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/861073,mariotti032608.article

I was eating out last night and watching sportscenter as it covered the Boston - Oakland game.  I have to be very honest, I did not know that it was opening day.  I'm ashamed as a baseball fan to admit that, but the bigger question is, why was it in Japan when most of America slept?  Why is the national pastime of this great nation being relegated to Japan to kick of the season?

Why?  The White Sox are still in camp in Arizona as are most of the teams.  I'm certain they're not gaining any advantage at this point by playing a few games early.  (By the way, they come back to the states to play a couple exhibition games before they resume their season)  But to ends does having opening day in Japan serve. 

This is not some xenophobic remark about Japanese people or their culture.  Rather, why is something so instilled in America culture and a tradition we can truly call unique to America, being transferred to Japan.  

It seems ridiculous to me and as Jay pointed out, is another blemish on the terrible record of Bud Selig.  A tie game in the All-Star game?  Steroids?  Luxury Tax?  What gives Bud?

Don't sell out our pastime.  Devoted fans and teams and players deserve better than this.  I hope this is a one time thing and we see a move back to state-side opening day.  

Maybe I'm just bitter because my bracket sucks...

No comments: