Tuesday, August 29, 2006

MLB Notes

-What a huge weekend for the NL Central (or should I say for St. Louis?). The Cards sweep the Cubs to make the season series somewhat respectable (8-11, respectively) while the Reds drop 5 straight. This just secures my belief that we will hold on to the division crown and restates why "Noone Knows If the Reds Will Win the Wild Card." (I must be the anti-Strader as of late because after my prediction about rookie Chris Duncan he hit a home run in all three games of the Chicago series.)

-Speaking of parity in Chicago, Baseball Tonight gave an update on the Cubs-Pirates game after a go-ahead RBI in the 11th from Derrek Lee in his first game back, only to be outdone minutes later after Ryan Dempster walked in the winning run. Ugh.

-I don't know which was funnier on SportsCenter tonight: Andruw Jones slipping and falling on his way to first base during a home run lap or Barry Bonds Kirby-esquely jumping to rob a HR and his bloated body getting a whole two inches off the ground. I can't believe it snagged the two spot in the Top Ten...

-The Cy Young races are far from over as it's extremely tight coming down the stretch. My AL pick changes daily between Halladay, Santana, and The Amazing Verlander. For most of the season I would have punched my vote for Brandon Webb in the NL, but Carpenter and Zambrano are both making a late season push while Josh Johnson came out of nowhere. Only September will tell.

-Here come the Marlins! If this upstart group of rookies can make the playoffs they just might replace Detroit as the new bandwagon. Only 1.5 games back--what a story...

-Ryan Howard is a stud. You bahlt!

No comments: