Friday, July 07, 2006

The End of an Era

Risking taking attention away from the MLB all-star game, I thought I would share how sad I am to see Andre Agassi retire. For those of you who caught his final match at Wimbledon (I've seen it re-aired atleast three times now) you know what I'm talking about. He has been such a fantastic icon for the game of tennis over the past two decades and even though retirement was inevitable, it will be difficult to see him go. After his three-set loss to #2 Nadal on Centre Court, he gave one last trademark 'four corners bow' and a rare on-court interview. The crowd showed immense appreciation, Nadal was gushing over what it means to play a legend, and Andre himself had tears in his eyes while sharing how much he loved all the years spent at the All England Club, thanking the fans for all their support. It was one of those soul-touching moments that reminds me why I watch sports to begin with.
I absolutely can't wait until September to witness an entire country rally behind Agassi at the US Open for one final run. The 2002 US Open was magnificent as Pete Sampras won the last tournament he would ever play, fittingly against Agassi, and I hope this year we can send off the other half of this dominant American tandem victorious. I recommend you take this fleeting opportunity to see the end of a great American era.

No comments: